• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Keys to the Kingdom Tour

#1 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 26 February 2009 - 05:55 PM

I've heard a lot of positive reviews about the keys to the kingdom tour offered at the MK. I understand that you get to see the Utilidoors, that it also involves lunch, and maybe involves getting to experience some attractions.

I'll probably spend less than one day in the MK since it's like Disneyland, only a whole lot larger and with fewer attractions. I already have a good idea of what attractions I must do in the MK. This tour sounds like it may interest me, but I'm attempting to gauge whether or not it will be worth it since I plan on using my park time to devote to SWW and parks/experiences that I don't have at Disneyland.

1. How much is the cost? I do have a Disney Visa.

2. I've heard people say it spoils the magic. One person defined that as going behind the buildings and seeing the non themed part. Is that the case, or is there more magic spoiling going on?

3. Is the information you learn from the tour unique, or is stuff that most Disney geeks already know?

Thanks in advance.

#2 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

1. The tour is $60, plus park admission. I think Disney Visa cardholders get 10% off tours, but I would check the site to be sure.

2. It did not spoil the magic for me. Seeing the utilidors and some of the backstage areas was neat, and actually enhanced the magic to me. It shows you how good Disney is at creating that magic.

3. The unique things are the behind the scenes things that you don't get to see everyday. Most of the Disney info I knew, but a little bit was new. For the non-Disney geek, I'm sure much of the info was brand new.

I would recommend the tour, and would go again myself someday.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

"Universal is like Wal-Mart with roller coasters."
- Buzz Ardman to Paige Turner, 11/1/08

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

I haven't seen the tour, but I don't believe in the "ruining the magic" thing. If being online and reading any fan sites hasn't soured you on Disney, then I don't think being backstage will either.

#4 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:08 PM

If you want a sense of what a backstage tour is like... I did a detailed trip report of the 7 hour Backstage Magic tour.

It certainly did NOT ruin any of the magic for me... in fact, the difference between backstage and onstage make me appreciate the efforts all the more of the Cast Members and others around the property.

I learned a lot...a nd most of it was about Disney Culture. Some of the trivia I knew, but I would say overall what I learned was more than what I already knew.

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#5 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

Oh, and according to my tour guide... there is very little overlap between the tours regarding information... so reading my trip report won't ruin the surprise for taking another tour... other than if you took the very same tour, with the same host that I did!

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#6 User is offline   Jambo Everyone 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:55 PM

This tour is absolutely terrific. If you like WDW you will love this tour. Seeing what they do to create the magic just makes it more impressive to me.
Posted Image

Jambo Everyone!
Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#7 User is offline   Howie 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Interests:Family, WDW

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

here is a pretty detailed review of the Keys To The Kingdom Tour but be careful of spoilers; we did the Backstage Magic Tour last trip and did write about that in my trip report on this site and we enjoyed it very much:

http://www.enchanter...isneytour1.html

he also reviews the Undiscovered Future World tour here:

http://www.enchanter...isneytour2.html

#8 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the links. My next question may sound odd, but please humor me.

How much does the tour focus on WDW as opposed to the MK only? While I love WDW, the MK doesn't do much for me because I grew up going to Disneyland, which I prefer over the MK.

Some people get the I'm in WDW feeling when they see Cinderella Castle. I get the WDW feeling when I see Spaceship Earth because Epcot has always symbolized WDW to me.

#9 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:51 PM

Mostly/all MK info. Sorry to disappoint. I still think you should do it though.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

#10 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:33 PM

No, no that's all right. Better to have a good idea of what the tour is and whether or not I will like it, than to go in and find out that it's not what I was expecting.

I'll now going to look at the Future World tour and try to decide between the two.

#11 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

After taking some time to read the review Howie posted, I have decided not to do the Keys to the Kingdom Tour because it sounds very similar to the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour that I've taken in Disneyland. While it still sounds like an informative tour, I feel like it's something that I probably don't want to spend the money on at this time.

However, the input and comments about tours has led me to consider the Future World tour since I absolutely love Epcot and rank it as my 2nd favorite Disney park. It may well be a better tour fit for me.

#12 User is offline   chopsva 

• Studios Regular

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:52 AM

The Keys tour was the first tour my wife and I took at WDW. Yes it is MK centric BUT it's main focus are the 4 "Keys" and how they are implemented in the park.
We chose this one fist because the length was only 4 or so hrs and the cost wasn't bad.

As with any tour, the success of the tour depends alot on your guide. Our guide for Keys was the best we've had.

After the succes of the Keys tour, we took the "Wild By Design" since we were not fans of the AK and hoped this would help appreciate the park more. Then we took the Backstage Magic tour.

If you take, or if someone else has taken the EPCOT tour, I would like to know how that was.

#13 User is offline   Eric 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:00 AM

I have done both the Walk in Walts Footsteps and Keys to the Kingdom, and they aren't compeltely similar. Much more behind the scenes at KTTK, which I thought was great. WIWF is more historical in nature, and KTTK is more "how they do it".

I haven't heard great things about the FW tour, but have never been on it myself.
Eric
www.MouseGuest.com

#14 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

Hmm. Additional information to consider this is.

#15 User is offline   ghost1000 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:26 AM

Eric said:

1. The tour is $60, plus park admission. I think Disney Visa cardholders get 10% off tours, but I would check the site to be sure.

Disney Visa cardholders get 20% off all tours except the Fort Wilderness Segway tour where they get 15% off.

Here are some reviews of the Keys to the Kingdom Tour:
http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/showpro...=241&cat=66
~~ Rita

#16 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

ghost1000 said:

Eric said:

Disney Visa cardholders get 20% off all tours except the Fort Wilderness Segway tour where they get 15% off.

Here are some reviews of the Keys to the Kingdom Tour:
http://land.allears.net/reviewpost/showpro...=241&cat=66
I wasn't aware of the Disney Visa discount...thanks!

#17 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 12 March 2009 - 04:22 PM

Sleepless Knight said:

While I love WDW, the MK doesn't do much for me because I grew up going to Disneyland, which I prefer over the MK.

Some people get the I'm in WDW feeling when they see Cinderella Castle. I get the WDW feeling when I see Spaceship Earth because Epcot has always symbolized WDW to me.

I completely agree. The weird part is trying to see fireworks in MK, because if you stand where you usually want to stand in DL, you see nothing, because the castle blocks out everything.

#18 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:47 PM

My son and I did the "Keys to the Kingdom" and we would do it again. In no way did it ruin the magic. I even enjoyed the little information about the amount of hat that are lost and dragged out of Splash Mountain. And it was interesting where the water actually comes from and the depth of the water in the lake. Yes, I would do it again. Our guide was Mark, who's goal is to be an Imagineer. I hope he's made it.

Posted Image
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#19 User is offline   Serkazong 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:All things Disney

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:47 AM

I very much enjoyed this tour. For me, it tied all the things I have learned about Walt Disney and the Disney Parks philosophy together. I also enjoyed my time in the MK before the tour started. I was about 30 minutes early and one of the castmembers I checked in with came outside to the bench where I was sitting. She gave me my tour lanyard and badge and informed me that I could wander around the MK as I pleased as long as I was back 5 minutes before the tour started. I didn't go everywhere, but It was nice to stroll up and down an empty main street and watch the park being prepared for its opening. I think nearly any Disney fan would enjoy this tour and it is well worth the money.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users