Studios Central: Shanghai Disneyland will NOT have a Main Street USA - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Shanghai Disneyland will NOT have a Main Street USA NY Times Report

#1 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

Very interesting news...

Shanghai’s Disneyland, for instance, will not feature a Main Street-theme entrance, a staple of every other Disney resort. (The Main Street areas are designed to reflect Walt Disney’s idyllic childhood in a Missouri town at the turn of the 20th century.) Instead, guests will enter through a lush 11-acre area featuring water and trees, where they will be greeted by costumed characters, Mr. Iger said. The castle will be Disney’s biggest.

The article goes on to report that the reason the renderings of the new park have been vague is because of China's lack of respect for copyright (or the concept in general). I guess when they launched Hong Kong Disneyland, many other parks copied the attractions very closely. The article also has a new rendering of what the "lush 11-acres" will look like. Is it just me, or does that seem like a lot. An acre is a football field minus the end zones and one yard line.

http://www.nytimes.c...a/08disney.html

Seems to me that this is going to be an Oasis-like land (from Animal Kingdom). Don't know if the main street concept is completely lost on the Chinese or if they are doing this to fit in more culturally. Love to hear your thoughts.

#2 User is offline   darthstich 

• Dark Lord of the Stitch
  • Interests:Disney, Star Wars

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:28 PM

I've heard that they will have a Main Street just themed to the 1920's instead of the turn of the 20th century like the other parks

#3 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

Where did you hear that stitch? I would be interested in reading up on that. I think there is a world cultural shift away from classic american idealism and I think disney is smart to pick up on it... but it is still a little sad to see. I don't think that the chinese are incredibly enamored with turn of the century US values and ideals. Europeans are in love with the Old West and the Japanese like americana in general but I don't think it translates cookie cutter into china.

I am very interested to take a google stroll through the park once it is complete!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users