• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Critique My Restaurant Choices Please

#1 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 26 July 2012 - 09:09 PM

I'm going to the World in November for the Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon. For whatever reason, I had a more difficult time coming up with ADRs for this visit than my previous visits. I want to try some new places that I haven't tried before along with hitting some old favorites. I'm also not doing the dining plan, so if there are very good CS alternatives, I don't mind canceling a TS to save money. As far as ticket media goes, I'm thinking about parkhopper and possibly upgrading to the premier. The premier isn't much more than parkhopper, so I think the discounts might justify the decision even if I can't swing another trip for Star Wars Weekends next May before the premier expires.

Tuesday November 6 Lunch at Le Chefs de France at 12:00pm. The food sounds good and not too expensive, but mostly I booked this because I'm interested in seeing the Remy animatronic at this restaurant during lunchtime. Dinner will likely be at CS in World Showcase, possibly Tangerine Cafe.

Wednesday November 7 Dinner at 50s Prime Time at 6:30pm. I really went back and forth on this one. Sometimes I'm in the mood for antics and other times not so much. The menu at Mama Melrose didn't entice me, but I'm still going back and forth over this one. So, basically this is an invitation to persuade me to go for Mama Melrose.

Thursday November 8 is wide open. I really want to see the MSEP that evening at MK and it's the only night that works for me since I'll be running the 1/2 on the other night that it shows. I'm considering doing Animal Kingdom on this day, but may also switch to the next day in order to see the Christmas Parade at DAK. If I decide against the parkhopper, there's a possibility that I'll skip DAK altogether.

Friday November 9 Dinner at Le Cellier at 9:05pm. I still go back and forth over this one. Le Cellier is my favorite restaurant from the last two visits, but the price increase has me questioning if I really want to spend that much.

Saturday November 10 Breakfast at Kona 10:45am. I always want to have a breakfast, but I hate using up valuable morning touring hours for a meal. However since the race is today, that will force me out of the parks if I go for rope drop.

Sunday November 11 Dinner at 9 Dragons at 6:00pm. I've never eaten here before, but it had an evening reservation available when my first choices didn't. The menu looks good, but I have no idea if I'll still feel that way after the race. After my first 1/2 at Disneyland last year, my appetite was quite particular for a couple of days.

Monday November 12 Late lunch early dinner around 3:30-4:00pm at the MK. This is my last day and I'll be going to MVMCP that evening. I'm open for suggestions.

Also, is Dining with an Imagineer worth it? I'm considering making that the special meal of the trip. I would do it at DHS since Brown Derby's price point is much better than Kouzzina's.

#2 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

all fairly solid choices though I have heard terrible things about Nine Dragons. If you wanted to stay with Epcot I would try Teppan Edo or one of the Mexican places.

If you go to DAK, I would recommend Yak & Yeti. Or go to Boma at the AKL.

for the MK day, I would step out to one of the resorts. I recommend 'ohana or Kona Cafe (excellent breakfast choice). There are also good choices at the Contemp.
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#3 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 02 August 2012 - 08:34 AM

I'm very partial to 50's Prime Time so I would go with that one, although I know quite a few others favor Mama's.... The past few times I've eaten at 50's it seems the servers only half heartedly do the "antics" so that portion of the experience wasn't as much fun. That being said, I still love the home cooked style 50's meals, their milk shakes & the old TV flim clips.

The AK Christmas parade is cute and worth seeing once if you're in that park anyway but I personally wouldn't plan a trip there just to see the AK Christmas Parade. I think Flametree Barbeque is a good CS option there if you do go.

IMO, 9 Dragons is ok as far as food quality goes but I also feel it's overpriced for what you get in quality as well as quantity (even at Disney prices). Haven't eaten at Chefs do France in a few years so I can't really comment. I've think I remember hearing that Remy isn't always out, though. Maybe someone else can give more info on that. Another good option that I loved when I ate there earlier this year was Via Napoli. While it's a bit pricey for pizza, their pizza is amazing & the food quality, service and ambiance is excellent and I thought worth it.

For your night seeing MSEP (one of my favs, BTW) or MVMCP, a quick CS is probably in order. One of the better CS places in WDW, I think, is Cosmic Rays. Their baked chicken is reasonably priced and delicious!

Obviously, each person has different preferences so something I love someone else will dislike so you ultimately need to decide what's best for your trip! Have fun!!!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#4 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:04 PM

I appreciate the feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing MSEP back on Main Street. It's been over 20 years since I've seen it on Main Street in Disneyland. It's still fun in DCA, but there's something nostalgic about being on Main Street.

I may just cancel all TS except Le Cellier just to save money. I love Le Cellier, but the increased cost is making me reconsider. At least I have the ADR.

Are they any truly good CS options in DHS? I feel okay about options at the other parks, but am not too excited about CS at DHS. Is it as bad as I fear and remember? I ate at ABC Commissary and Backlot Express back in 2009.

#5 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

As a matter of fact, we found a new CS winner at DHS. We went to DHS last night to see Fantasmic!. If you like fish & chips, I recommend them at the Commissary. We had the fish & chips there and it was excellent (for CS, anyway!). The fish wasn't greasy or overcooked and thick fries were tender inside and a bit crunchy outside. We both thought it was better than the last couple of times we've had F&C at England in EPCOT which have been a bit greasy.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users