Studios Central: New DVC and Guest Rooms: Hawaii! - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New DVC and Guest Rooms: Hawaii!

#1 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:30 PM

Just saw this come across. Disney is building an 800 unit resort in Hawaii. It appears the resort will be a combination of guest units and DVC units.

More details in the article.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/...1567094328.html

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:37 PM

2011? Not in time for my honeymoon :)

Still, good move by Disney

#3 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Golf, Disney (duh)

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:55 PM

I agree, I think this is a good move, though execution will be important. Generally speaking, Disney's current on-site DVC accomodations don't measure up very well to the other high-end timeshares in places like Hawaii. Disney of course has the advantage of location in Orlando.

So they are really going to have to offer more in the way of amenities, room size, etc.

I'm sure they understand this, though, so I'm pretty sure they will come through.

#4 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 04 October 2007 - 07:49 AM

Here's another article with an artist rendering. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/cu...rl_tab01_layout

Seems nice and hopefully one day we'll be able to use our points there but I think it might take a while sine I'm sure alot of DVC'ers will be thinking the same thing!

#5 User is offline   PixieDust 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, music, reading, fun stuff. ;-)

Posted 04 October 2007 - 08:33 AM

I will be going there sometime... as a "celebration of marriage" trip since our honeymoon is where we work... so this is a good option!
Jeanne
Engaged July 17th, 2008 @ Sunset Point
3/3/09 - Sunset Point Wedding
AIM: PixieSBPassion

MySpace

Glenn is my hero!!

#6 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 10 October 2007 - 05:53 PM

Here's some more detailed thoughts I have on this:

http://www.july171955.com/b2evolution/inde...p;tb=1&pb=1

#7 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:53 PM

Nice article...I enjoyed reading it.

I think most Disney fans are people who enjoy the theme park environment. Branching outside Orlando, Anahiem and the other international parks is a bold move. People that go to Disney destinations today go for the theme parks. Adventures by Disney is doing better each year, but it's not even close to what the parks draw year after year.

The reason I enjoy Orlando so much is the amount of activities available to my family. The parks, resorts, and other activites are the biggest draw. It's the variety at my fingertips. With Hawaii the level of variety offered compared to Orlando will not be matched. I think that is where the struggle will lie. Can Disney sell the Hawaii resort as a vacation destination and not just a place to come and relax, lie on the beach, or enjoy water activities.

I'm a DVC member and I like having Hawaii as a DVC resort. I hope to visit at least once. Will I run back after my first visit; probably not, but since I've never been there before it's hard to make that judgement. The Polynesian is my favorite Orlando resort so maybe there is hope for me and Hawaii. :D

#8 User is offline   Matt Hart 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 11 October 2007 - 07:17 PM

Thanks!

Your points are definitely a concern. I think they are counting on people who have never been to Hawaii wanting to visit this hotel because it's Disney. Similar to the way they got people to go on Disney cruises who otherwise never would have tried it.

I don't know if it will work. They've done well with the cruise line, but that's really the only recreational venture outside of the theme park areas that has been successful for them on a large scale.

I do think that Hawaii is a good spot to start with. One (though certainly not the only) problems with Vero and Hilton Head was they really are only regional vacation spots. Not only did they have to convince people to buy into their Disney hotels, they also had to convince people to go to Vero and HH to begin with.

Hawaii is already a worldwide vacation destination like WDW.

But you're right that its a different kind of experience. One thing that will be interesting to monitor is how Disney handles that. I think they will need to bring some level of "Disney-ness" to the resort, because otherwise there won't be any reason to pick them over anybody else. But they have already stated they want to blend in and respect the culture, which I agree is a must. That will be difficult to balance.

Should be interesting. I'm also curious to know if they view this as sort of a "test case" for their larger plan. They don't typically plunge into things full throttle. DVC started with one resort. DisneyQuest 2 locations with another planned. Even the parks they open now are scaled back. I'm guessing they might go for one more and judge the guest response before going further.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users