• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disney Land Paris

#1 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

I haven't been to WDW in quite awhile & it looks like it might be a little longer, but for a good reason. I am putting plans together to go to England & France this summer. We will spend the bulk of our trip in London w/friends, but want to spend approx 3 days in Paris. I think you know what's coming...we're going to go to DLP for a few days (eeek!) however, looking for your advice. We will do the three days in Paris either right when we arrive in London or the very end of our trip...any thoughts? It will be 4 of us, 2 adults 2 kids (school age.)

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 11 January 2011 - 12:06 PM

First place I'd start is with the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland Paris: http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/0470683317

#3 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:22 PM

My sister and BIL were there for a day a few years ago, so if you have any specific questions I can ask her and see if she knows the answer. That'll be a great trip!

#4 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:46 PM

I was there back in 2003, but only to Disneyland, not the Studios counterpart. I realize this is old, but here were some things I noted:

The Space Mountain there, in the very cool Jules Verney Discoveryland, might be the best ride I've ever been on. Like R'N'Roller coaster, it launches you, except it's upward. Then it has some inversions going around meteors and stuff. I know they've changed some of the ride since then, but the basic track is still the same I think. The rest of Discoveryland is very cool as well.

There's no Splash Mountain, but they make up for it with a souped up POTC.

Also in Adventureland is an Indiana Jones roller coaster. I don't remember too much about this except it going backwards for a while and the seats being really uncomfortable. Maybe that's changed since I went. There are also some really cool pirate-themed walk-through areas. They're sort of like the Tom Sawyer island of DLP.

Instead of the Haunted Mansion, there's a western themed haunted house ride in Frontierland. I don't remember too much about this, though. Also, the Big Thunder looked awesome, it seemed bigger and badder, but unfortunately I didn't get to go on it.

I don't remember too much about Fantasyland, the castle is beautiful. I remember some ferris wheel type ride with old-fashioned looking buckets as seats.

Overall, I think this is my favorite of the 6 Disney parks I've been to. I don't know if any of that will be helpful, but it at least should whet your appetite. It sounds like you have a fantastic trip planned out.

#5 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 27 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

I am regular at DLP. I have been a passholder for a few years and was there as recently as November. I have 7 years of experience if you have specific questions. I would love to help you out!

#6 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 29 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

View PostRinjo, on 27 January 2011 - 06:25 PM, said:

I am regular at DLP. I have been a passholder for a few years and was there as recently as November. I have 7 years of experience if you have specific questions. I would love to help you out!

Thanks Rinjo. I will send questions your way as we get closer to the date.

One question I do have, a friend of mine told me I shouldn't bother going to DLP because I would be sorely disappointed. I was thinking this is more about an experience rather than seeing if it's better than. Your thoughts...

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:46 AM

View PostMaxiBarns, on 29 January 2011 - 04:11 PM, said:

Thanks Rinjo. I will send questions your way as we get closer to the date.

One question I do have, a friend of mine told me I shouldn't bother going to DLP because I would be sorely disappointed. I was thinking this is more about an experience rather than seeing if it's better than. Your thoughts...

I would definitely go. DLP may not win awards beating out WDW/DL, but it has its merits and I think as a Disney fan, it's worth seeing.

#8 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:32 PM

I agree. Disneyland Paris has its charms. I think that the themeing in the MK is very well done. Several attractions are unique to the park... cinemagique and animagique at the studios for example are great shows. The latter being something my 4 and 6 year old have been enjoying for years. We all catch ourselves singing the music to that attraction all the time. Their ToT is a great attraction and when it opened I found sme of the best Tower actors that I have ever seen. I can go on and on about the merits of the park, but that isn't what you asked for.

One of the main drawbacks however is the food. It is short on variety, high on price. The buffets are extremely overpriced and hardly worth half of what they charge.

There is one secret that I will share with you closer to your trip. I know a 'secret' placewhere you can spend the better part of the morning hanging out with Disney Characters. Playing hide and seek with pluto... dancing with donald... no handlers... no crowds. There is also a breakfast spot at the same location with a great buffet breakfast for 11 euro per person. This is a spot I have been going for 7 years and we spend hours and hours there every trip. Depending on what time you go you have a lot of interaction time with the characters... I have videos of my kids playing hide and seek with pluto... pictures of my daughter giving Goofy the middle finger (long story) and countless picures with minnie mouse and mickey mouse.

Other than the time that we were the first family of the day, I really havent found an experience to rival the casual laid back character rich experience we have at our secret spot!!! So I would plan on a very early breakfast there and give yourself a lot of time to meet and greet. You will be glad that you did.

Have you decided on a place to stay? The marriot vilas are AMAZING! We stayed there for 100 euro a night and had two floors, several bedrooms and it was spectacular. One thing to keep in mind is that europeans do NOT wake up early. They just dont do it. If you stay somewhere that allows extra magic hours you will find yourself able to do everything in fantasy land and tomorrow land (discoveryland) with ample time to spare. Disney Hotels are murderously expensive. The Hotel Val D'Europe is a 10 minute drive or so from the gate and it is the only 'offsite' hotel to get in on extra magic hours. You can also take the disney train to the parks form there and that takes about 5 minutes if you catch the train shortly after arriving at the station.

The only thing about the val d'europe hotel is that the beds are horrible. It doesnt bother me soo much but my wife and inlaws are sensitive to that sort of thing and the beds almost ruined the trip for them. On my next trip I will likely stay at the marriot villas and buy a room at the val d'europe so that I can partake in extra magic hours. In my opinion it would be worth the money. But that is just me. :)

Whew. What else... Here is a link to the marriot villas. My wife will not allow us to stay anywhere else... I have stayed in the newport bay, concierge level at DLP and it cannot hold a candle to the marriott there. No lie.

http://www.marriott....dlle-de-france/ Click this one for pictures of the place: http://www.marriott....HWHOM&imageID=0 That should give you an idea of what the accomidations are like. Absolutely top notch with no details spared. Marble... hard woods... flat screen TVs... amazing beds, sheets, pillows. I can't recommend it enough. I tell everyone I know about it now a days. We stayed for under 100 euro a night which for this area is a great deal! It ust dpends onw hen you are going.

What else... what else...

Does that make any questions pop into your head?

#9 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

Rinjo again, Thank you or should I say merci! The hotel is gorgeous. I will definitely keep it in mind.

My beginning questions are really all the logistics of travel from England to France. Which mode of transportation is best, planes, trains or automobiles? We will hire a car while in London, but that doesn't mean we need to take it to France. We will have all our luggage w/us, how much of a pain is it, if we take the train, to haul our luggage to a hotel? If we decide to take the Chunnel how odd is it to drive an English car in France? How difficult is it to get around France by car? We do want to spend one day in Paris how easy/expensive would it be to get to Paris?

I did get info on prices & modes of transportation from ACP, which was very helpful. Now I just need to see which mode of transportation best suits traveling w/kids. Any advice or experience you or anyone else has w/this would be fab!!

#10 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

Driving around France is no problem. If youa re used to driving an english car it won't be too big of a deal for you. The French are not going to care what side the driver is sitting on. As long as someone can reach out and pay tolls/grab toll tickets you will be fine.

Driving in paris is another story. It takes fortitude and guts. I am fine with it, but my wife is not. A 2 lane street at 7am will be a four lane street at 9am... parrallel parking involves bumping the car in front of you... then the car in back of you... rinse wash/repeat until your car is in position. As you walk Paris you can look around and see scuffed fenders and bumpers as they have no concern for their neighbors vehicles when parralel parking.

Here is my recommendation... Decide how you are going to get to Paris Disney (Train, Car whatever...). Park your car there (If Applicable) and take the subway/train into Paris. Their subway system is great and very easy to use. The lines are colored and you can get a map in advance and jot down stations and stops near the attractions you are going to see. The ride into paris is 20-30 minutes if I remember correctly and it drops you off close to the Lourve... there might be one train change, but nothing major.

I can't give you advise on luggage to and from England... but I can tell you that you are far from the first family to do what you are doing. You are originating in England where people speak english so getting help in this area wont be as troublesome as it will be when you are starting in france and going back to england!

There is a boat that will take you and your car across the channell and that has to be the most convinient in your situation I would think... load up the luggage and you can leave it in the car until you get there!

The train from Paris Disney is a 2 minute walk from the turnstiles (Literally!). You can take the train to and from Paris there with absolute ease. It is something we do quite oftena nd have never had trouble. If you are unfamiliar with subways any good guide to paris will have a subway map that coincides with local attractions. I have a few great ones but I am in Korea right now so I can't tell you their names... I can email my wife though if you need them. Best bet is to go to a bookstore and grab a folding paris subway map book and look it over there. That should give you an idea if it is something you want to do.

Driving from location to location in Paris is not a good idea. Even when we drive in we park the car and take the subway. It just isn't the kind of city that is meant to be taken in by vehicle, and the roads are crowded! You can walk from the Lourve to the Eifel tower and see plenty of sights along the way. From the Eifel Tower you catch the boat and go ont he Paris boat cruise... then catch the train from there to just about anywhere. Paris is a walking city... there are no skyskrapers to block your view... plenty to smell and even more to eat and drink.

One thing... if you are planning to hit the Lourve, this is an all day affair so plan for that. My 6 year old and I got the audio guide and had a great time, but my 4 year old was too young and didn't really do well with all of the walking and stopping in front of things...

I am rambling now... does any of that help?

#11 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

Rinjo as usual thanks! I appreciate the time & info you put into your posts, it's been priceless info.

Here is what I have so far:

Fly into London
Take EuroStar to Paris.
Stay 1-2 night in Paris
3 days 2 nights in DLP
Take the train back to London
Pick up rental car & off to see friends, gov'nor!

The specifics still have to be planned, but I needed to start w/the logistics. All of your info really helped!!! As the date draws closer I'll send a PM to get specific info. Now it's time to sell plasma to pay for all this :D

Kristen

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users