• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Disney's Pop Century

#1 User is offline   Tinkerbell2004 

• Studios God
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:DISNEY

Posted 24 April 2003 - 06:47 AM

Disney’s newest value-priced resort - Disney’s Pop Century Resort. Opening Dec. 14, 2003, the 2,880-room, first phase of Disney’s Pop Century Resort will send clients on a trip through American popular culture spanning the 20th Century.

The whimsical resort will feature two phases - the Legendary Years of the 1900s-1940s and the Classic Years of the 1950s-1990s. Larger-than-life icons such as the Big Wheel, bowling pins, the Rubik’s Cube, cell phones and more will tower near individual lodge buildings. Famous dance moves from each decade will be immortalized on each building by giant, two-dimensional images of silhouetted couples. Memorable slogans such as "Boogie down" and "Have a nice day" will line the rooftops.

Located near Disney’s Wide World of Sports complex, Disney’s Pop Century Resort will include two 5,000-square-foot arcades; Disney’s first integrated food, beverage and shopping area; eight courtyards; six pools in wildly-fun shapes; two playgrounds; and recreational paths for riding surrey bikes around Hourglass Lake.

This sounds cool i can't to go to Disney and get to stay there!

Marissa

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 24 April 2003 - 09:55 AM

It's about time they opened this place up

#3 User is offline   wishingtree 

• Senior Studios Member
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney, music and sports(especially hockey)

Posted 24 April 2003 - 04:45 PM

This past October I got a pretty good look at one of the mostly finished sections and one thought came to mind, IS THIS THE BEST THING THE MINDS AT DISNEY COULD THINK OF!!!!!!!!! :oops: The icons like the yo-yos or the big wheel are OK(they fit in great at the All Stars), but the catch phrases all over the buildings :roll: And the worst part, you can see it from the highway :oops:
It sounds like they are adding enough pools, arcades and eateries to keep the guests happy.
I hope I am wrong and I will definately go there and check it out when it opens(I'm open minded , I even road TriceraTop Spin at AK once).

OK I'm done venting for now :wink:
Jim

"Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic!!!"

#4 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:29 PM

I spent 3 nights at Pop Century at the beginning of this month. Here are a few observations that I had:

1. The shower area takes a bit of getting used to. We are used to the showers having a tub to stand in, which was not the case in our room. If we had been ones to favor taking baths, this would have bit more awkward.

2. The food court/gift shop combo was a bit odd, too. I guess it isn't so bad, but I'd prefer the two to be separated more.

3. We didn't realize it at first as it was behind a cabinet door on the television stand, but we had a small refrigerator in our room. It ended up coming in kind of handy. When we called earlier this week to book our room for early June, the Cast Member asked if we would like a refrigerator in our room at PO:FQ for a charge of $10 per night. Apparently we were supposed to pay for a refrigerator in our room at PC, too, but since it was just left there and we didn't request it, we didn't pay any extra for it.

4. Okay, time for my number 1 pet peeve, and it really doesn't have anything to do with the resorts themselves. While getting ready to head to the parks one morning while at PC, I look out the window and someone is standing directly in front of our non-smoking room smoking a cigarette. What's up with that? This seems to happen at least once everytime that we stay at WDW. Last time we stayed at PO:RS, someone in the next room over from us came out of their non-smoking room every morning and evening to smoke and they stood right there between the two rooms to do it. I'm not saying that people don't have the right to smoke if they wish to do that, but shouldn't non-smoking rooms be kept clear of any and all smoking as much as possible? What's the point of requesting a non-smoking room otherwise?

Rob

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:35 PM

rob_wilson said:

1. The shower area takes a bit of getting used to. We are used to the showers having a tub to stand in, which was not the case in our room. If we had been ones to favor taking baths, this would have bit more awkward.

I take it they were just showers, no tubs?

rob_wilson said:

4. Okay, time for my number 1 pet peeve, and it really doesn't have anything to do with the resorts themselves. While getting ready to head to the parks one morning while at PC, I look out the window and someone is standing directly in front of our non-smoking room smoking a cigarette. What's up with that? This seems to happen at least once everytime that we stay at WDW. Last time we stayed at PO:RS, someone in the next room over from us came out of their non-smoking room every morning and evening to smoke and they stood right there between the two rooms to do it. I'm not saying that people don't have the right to smoke if they wish to do that, but shouldn't non-smoking rooms be kept clear of any and all smoking as much as possible? What's the point of requesting a non-smoking room otherwise?

I think their idea is the room is non-smoking, meaning no one has ever smoked in it so it shouldn't irritate you there. However, unless the entire hotel is non-smoking, they can't guarantee your experience elsewhere. I agree that its wrong but thats how it goes sometimes :?

#6 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 29 April 2004 - 01:29 PM

[quote name='"QuickGold"][quote=rob_wilson]1. The shower area takes a bit of getting used to. We are used to the showers having a tub to stand in' date=' which was not the case in our room. If we had been ones to favor taking baths, this would have bit more awkward.[/quote']
I take it they were just showers, no tubs?

That's correct. There was a drain in the floor of the bathroom and a curtain that you pulled across the room. The curtain didn't go all the way to the floor, so if someone else went into the bathroom to use the toilet, they could see your feet and they would also get wet from the water splattering off the floor.

Rob

#7 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 29 April 2004 - 03:03 PM

Have you stayed at other Disney value resorts Rob? If so, how would you compare them to PC?

#8 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 29 April 2004 - 03:16 PM

I'm staying there Saturday night :lol:

#9 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 29 April 2004 - 03:34 PM

DisneyPrincess said:

I'm staying there Saturday night :lol:

What's the special occasion?

#10 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 29 April 2004 - 04:02 PM

QuickGold said:

Have you stayed at other Disney value resorts Rob? If so, how would you compare them to PC?

I have stayed at the following resorts:

All-Star Movies
All-Star Music
Pop Century

Caribbean Beach
Dixie Landings (before and after the name change)
Port Orleans: French Quarter
Coronado Springs

Contemporary (not in the tower, though)

Like others have mentioned, there are pros and cons to each of the resorts. I personally prefer the Caribbean Beach best of the Moderates and All-Star Movies of the Value Resorts, but all are good. The thing I liked best about the Pop Century were the giant statues of Lady and the Tramp, since that is my favorite Disney movie.

The worst part of the Pop Century, which I failed to mention earlier, was that at least when we were there the parking was terrible. Not once during the 3 nights we stayed were we parked in a parking spot. We didn't even stay out particularly late, so I don't know if all the resorts were that crowded, or they just didn't allocate enough space to parking areas. We've never encountered that problem at other resorts. I kept worrying that we would get a ticket or towed, but nothing ever happened and we certainly weren't the only ones parking wherever we could find to park.

Rob

#11 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 29 April 2004 - 06:59 PM

I've stayed at POP century last December, right when it first open and I found it to be great. I really liked all the memorabilia they had. We stayed in the 80s wing. I think that made it more special since that was the decade I grew up in. I don't mind the blurbs on the buildings at all.

Compared to the All Stars, I think that PC is better. Its a lot brighter and more inviting. I just came back from a trip and stayed in the All Stars Music and I wouldn't trade PC for AS any day. I've also stayed at the Sports. Haven't stayed at the movies, but I walked through it, I imagine the rooms are the same.

I didn't notice if my room had a fridge or not. I don't think it did. I do recall our shower having a tub. Maybe you were just in a special room?
The gift shop/restaurant thing is kinda weird.

In general one thing I hate of the value resorts is the transportation. IT sucks. The buses are always crowded and its usually the furthest bus stop from the park. Oh well, it doesn't stop me from staying there, cause of the price. I am actually going back up in 2 weeks and staying at PC.

My favorite hotel so far are the Ft Wilderness Cabins. Its a great value for the price and its in a great location. You really do feel out in the wilderness.

Oh, btw, hello all, this is my first post. I've been reading your site for a while. I love MGM studios. I'm from Miami, FL.

Alex

#12 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 29 April 2004 - 07:14 PM

velvetdrug said:

Oh, btw, hello all, this is my first post. I've been reading your site for a while. I love MGM studios. I'm from Miami, FL.

Alex

Welcome, Alex. Good to have you aboard.

Rob

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 29 April 2004 - 09:21 PM

velvetdrug said:

In general one thing I hate of the value resorts is the transportation. IT sucks. The buses are always crowded and its usually the furthest bus stop from the park. Oh well, it doesn't stop me from staying there, cause of the price. I am actually going back up in 2 weeks and staying at PC.

Unfortunately thats how it works. When you pay more, you get more. But its on property

velvetdrug said:

Welcome Alex! Hopefully since you're from Miami we've got ourselves another Marlin fan :P

#14 User is offline   TrendyMagic 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney. Should there be anything else?

Posted 29 April 2004 - 11:19 PM

Welcome Alex!

Rob,

I have stayed at Pop several times since it opened, including opening night.
It sounds like you had a special needs room (wheelchair accessible shower) The room setups otherwise are just the same as the All-Stars.

The gift shop area did throw me off a bit as well. But they make more money that way.

The parking problem was mostly caused by design, the other by cast. There are enough spaces for a car for every room, but they did not spread them out evenly. They also put the smallest lot next to the largest room grouping. For the first month or so they told many "it's ok to park in the 70's lot even though you are staying in the 80's" etc. During extreme crowds they actually put a CM at the small lot to keep many out. And they tell themt he correct lot, which is usually a longer walk.

#15 User is offline   velvetdrug 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:00 PM

QuickGold said:

Welcome Alex! Hopefully since you're from Miami we've got ourselves another Marlin fan :P

thanks. yep yep. Go Marlins! :P

#16 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:33 PM

velvetdrug said:

QuickGold said:

thanks. yep yep. Go Marlins! :P

You're the man Alex
:P

#17 User is offline   DisneyFreak1228 

• Studios God

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:26 AM

Oh, no, not another Marlins fan... :roll:
*Leslie Ivette*

#18 User is offline   disneyprincess 

• Studios God

Posted 02 May 2004 - 07:31 PM

Matt -bachelorette party. Party at PI, crash at Pop Century.

#19 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 03 May 2004 - 09:33 AM

DisneyPrincess said:

Matt -bachelorette party. Party at PI, crash at Pop Century.

Oh, so you're the one who called my stripper hotline. See you Saturday :D

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users