Studios Central: Private Dining at Kidani Village - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Private Dining at Kidani Village

#1 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:00 PM

Today was our departure day. We spent a good portion of the morning packing our bags. We went to the AKL lobby to find a loooong line at the airline check-in desk. It actually took me 40 minutes to get checked-in. We also checked our carry-on luggage with bell services. Our ME bus was not scheduled to pick us up until 3:05. So we had 5 plus hours to kill before we had to depart.

We spent our time at the Kidani Village pool. We were there a few days before and really enjoyed it, so much so that we decided to go back and relax a bit.

One of things I was curious about was quick dining at Kidani Village. Many DVCers have been complaining about the lack of a counter service location at Kidani Village. It's understandable conisdering the size of the resort and the walk to Jambo House to eat at the Mara (Jambo's counter service location).
I knew the pool bar had some food offerings and the gift shop inside the lobby (Johari Treasures) had some quick food items as well; however, I discovered something else. A private dining option is available at the Maji pool bar.

Here's how it works.
Look for this phone and display at the Maji Pool Bar. Simply pick-up the phone and it will ring into the Sanaa kitchen. Make sure to reference your private dining number on your identifiable tent; in this case it's number 2.
Posted Image
Simply place your order with the Cast Member. They will give you an approximate wait time, a total, and ask you how you will pay; cash, credit, or room charge. Take your number tent to your pool chair and wait for the server/delivery person to bring you the food.
Here are the menus for private dining. There is an adult menu and a kids menu to choose from. As you can see each adult entree comes with sides and a pudding dessert. Kids meals come with 2 sides and a dessert like chocolate cake.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Something I found odd is the resort does not have a fryer so you will not find any fried foods on the private dining menu. This was according to the Cast Member I spoke to on the private dining telephone. I wasn't sure if it was because of the healthier alternatives Disney was incorporating or not.

We ordered a kids pizza for our daughter Anna. You should know when you order through the private dining line you are charged a $3 trip charge and an automatic 18% gratuity. The total for our daughters kids pizza, 2 sides, dessert, and a bottled water was $12.75. There was some confusion whether the drink was included with the meal. When we called private dining they said yes, but the bottled water never came out, so I received one at the pool bar at no cost. I think they are still working out some of the kinks to private dining in general.

The Maji pool bar also offers very limited quick foods you can order and receive from their refrigerator right away without going through private dining.
Here is there menu
Posted Image
Make sure to bring your resort refillable mug to the Kidani Village pool because they have a soda refilling station next to the bar. A nice feature in my opinion.
Posted Image

For those of you lucky enough to stay at this resort the Johari Treasures gift shop also has some quick cold food and breakfast options. There are cold cereals, breads and other breakfast fare to choose from. Potato chips and other afternoon or evening snacks are available as well.
Posted Image

Posted Image
The gift shop also houses a refillable mug station for soda, coffee, and tea.
Posted Image

Despite the lack of a counter service restaurant at Kidani Village there are still options to choose from if you don't want to hike over to the Mara at Jambo House. Many DVCers have been sending suggestion letters to dvcmembersatisfactionteam@disneyvacationclub.com to voice their displeasure about the lack of a counter service location. If you feel Kidani Village needs a counter service location feel free to send them an email as well.

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

Thanks for the report.

I think it's a mistake not having counter service and when I stayed there last month, I was shocked to see no CS.

#3 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

I agree Matt. I think they will have to do something eventually; especially when the 2nd phase of the resort is open. Whatever they do I'm sure they will try and leverage the existing kitchen in Sanaa.

#4 User is offline   Figaro 

• Studios God

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:57 AM

Definately need counter service. I wouldn't order from the private dining from the bar. If I was going to use "room service", which is basically what it is, I would use it in my room. I don't want to pay extra just to get something at the pool area and I also want something with minimum wait. There are many times we come back from the parks and just want something hot & fairly quick.

#5 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

View PostFigaro, on May 19 2009, 09:57 AM, said:

Definately need counter service. I wouldn't order from the private dining from the bar. If I was going to use "room service", which is basically what it is, I would use it in my room. I don't want to pay extra just to get something at the pool area and I also want something with minimum wait. There are many times we come back from the parks and just want something hot & fairly quick.

Good point...It is very much like room service. I hope they build a counter service. I really don't understand why they didn't build it in the first place. I understand that adding another QS restaurant in the resort does increase operating expenses, requires additional staff, and takes up space, but wouldn't there be additional profit to pay for its operation and upkeep.

It has been my belief over the past 7 years that Disney has not built their amenities, and theme parks for that matter, to capacities. If you look at the average crowds throughout a calendar year and analyze wait times and the number of amenities at on property resorts there's an imbalance that favors Disney. Not having a QS restaurant in Kidani Village is a perfect example of this. You build this mega-size DVC resort and expect people to walk over a 1/2 mile or take a bus to get something quick and hot to eat. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

#6 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

This entire discussion reinforces the reason my friends and I keep a couple of quick & easy meals and snacks in our Old Key West room. Even there, depending upon where in the resort your room is, it can be a major hike to get a snack or quick meal. It's just easier (and much less expensive) to have cheese & crackers or popcorn in the room....
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users