• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Let the ranting...I mean Memories begin

#1 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:54 PM

So I set my reminder on my phone for 12:45...not high expectations but still, I mean, a mayor announcement from Disney Parks advertised everywhere.
It started late, Ok I can wait, it's probably announcing some new cool ride or attraction...
Ok, I'm looking at peoples pictures at the parks...cute...

Tom Bergeron...he's funny...teleprompter problems all the way thru
and then...that's it!!!...they take your videos, pictures, stories and use them in commercials and in a projector on the castle...
I did like the song, but that's about it.
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#2 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:27 PM

I didn't expect any major new attraction announcements today. I figured the new campaign and existing project updates would be announced. Am I disappointed? - No....Was I "hoping" for more? - Yes.

Most park fans are not going to find this announcement worth much. We're going to the parks with or without the campaign. I think the campaign is geared more towards the family who has never visited before, or has only visited a few times. This campaign and these ads will appeal to them more and maybe get them to take a family vacation in 2011.

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

I was disappointed with the announcement. The new campaign is just marketing and there's not much thought that seems to have gone in it. Give me Year of a Million Dreams, 50th anniversary, 100 years of magic any day because this and the last couple of campaigns aren't anywhere as good as those 3 I just listed.

Like Aaron said, it's all about attracting those that have never been and in a way, it's a slap in the face to the loyal fans since it's clear which group Disney values more. Disney has always taken its loyal fans for granted and today we further proof of that.

#4 User is offline   April 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:05 PM

Where shall I begin on my issues with the whole presentation. Where to begin... Disney's idea of a memory, the survey with the tiny sampling, the comment about scrapbooking, the ignoring of the kidless families, or the overall concept of guests doing the marketing department's job.

Ugh.... just so much fail here. Too much to say. Looking forward to 2012...

#5 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

I'm glad I didn't spend time viewing this live. I would have been really peeved! I love finding a good location to watch the evening parade & fireworks early so I can sit and enjoy watching the Castle glowing & changing colors in the dark. It's very magical. A castle displaying strangers' memory moments just doesn't do it for me. Sure, there will an occasional pic that's cute or funny in its own right but how many little girls meeting a princess, kids meeting Mickey or folks splashing down Splash will we have to see before it becomes ho-hum? While I understand it may have more appeal for first timers, how many first time guests will even realize the pics being shown are from that very day and that their pic may be on the Castle? How many will actually "see" their personal pic? It's MK's 40th birthday for heaven's sake. Why not celebrate that? As much as I thought the Pepto Bismol pink birthday cake Castle was tacky, I think this is worse. Disney, PLEASE hire back some of those creative talents that have been layed off over the years!!!!! Better promotions & better merchandise will ultimately lead to more sales & income! Ok.... off my soap box (for now, at least!)
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#6 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:53 PM

Meh, I went in with low expectations, so I wasn't too bummed. I'm not interested in seeing stranger's pictures on the castle. How will that be any different than their usual marketing pictures? I don't know those people either. I definitely thought they'd beef it up more for the 40th.

#7 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:18 AM

I dont care one way or the other about this
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#8 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

While I can choose to view (or not view) normal marketing pics of strangers in print or TV, I can't avoid them if they're being displayed on the castle and I want to see the MSEP or the fireworks. That's what irks me as well as destroying (in my opinion) the beautiful & magical image of the castle changing colors.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#9 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 28 September 2010 - 07:16 PM

No gracias! I have ZERO desire to see other peoples' mugs up on the castle... I'm trying to imagine during Illuminations instead of seeing pictures of Muhammad Ali & Mother Thersea, my family projected on the globe holding our melting Mickey Ice cream bars while of course I'm caught blinking. When I think about it being done in other parks, it seems like an absurd idea.

#10 User is offline   Mousekedude 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:Disney, boating, fishing, reading, good music.

Posted 30 September 2010 - 11:18 AM

View PostMaxiBarns, on Sep 28 2010, 07:16 PM, said:

No gracias! I have ZERO desire to see other peoples' mugs up on the castle... I'm trying to imagine during Illuminations instead of seeing pictures of Muhammad Ali & Mother Thersea, my family projected on the globe holding our melting Mickey Ice cream bars while of course I'm caught blinking. When I think about it being done in other parks, it seems like an absurd idea.

Exactly! I'm furious about this! On every trip, we try to get even better night shots of the castle than what we got on the previous trip (usually it also involves a camera upgrade), so why in the world would they ruin people's chances for good pics by splattering some other schmuck's ugly mug on the wall?! It would be like pasting ads over the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel!
Okay, maybe not that bad, but you know what I mean..... :unsure:
I'm not a Disney freak... I'm NOT, I tell you... no way.... you can't prove it....

#11 User is offline   yulilin 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:44 PM

As much as I don't find this idea inspiring, imaginative or productive when my daughter heard of it she wanted to upload some pics on the site. She spent a couple of hours looking at pictures of other people and reading their stories and she enjoyed the idea very much. Of course she was excited when she saw the pictures we uploaded there on the Disney site.
I don't think that they'll project the pictures all evening long on the castle, I think it'll be for a little montage with the promotions song, maybe a 10 minute show?
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas

#12 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:01 PM

View Postyulilin, on Sep 30 2010, 06:44 PM, said:

I don't think that they'll project the pictures all evening long on the castle, I think it'll be for a little montage with the promotions song, maybe a 10 minute show?
I hope that's the case. Hate to see photos from dusk to park close on the castle

#13 User is offline   April 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:14 PM

As a frequent visitor to WDW of the last few months... seeing the commercials now, yeah it's not your average park guests. It's all pretty people. Where are they sweaty guys in wife beaters, exposed bellies, big people, bratty kids, the elderly, solo guest, etc.

It's all so far been stereotypical, clean cut middle America.

#14 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:08 PM

View PostApril, on Sep 30 2010, 07:14 PM, said:

As a frequent visitor to WDW of the last few months... seeing the commercials now, yeah it's not your average park guests. It's all pretty people. Where are they sweaty guys in wife beaters, exposed bellies, big people, bratty kids, the elderly, solo guest, etc.

More of the "Pretty People Rules" the whole thing just seems ...intrusive.

#15 User is offline   jbwolffiv 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography and hockey

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:13 AM

View PostMousekedude, on Sep 30 2010, 12:18 PM, said:

It would be like pasting ads over the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel!
Okay, maybe not that bad, but you know what I mean..... :unsure:

:)

I feel the same way, just a waste and no chance for good pictures.
John

#16 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

View PostApril, on Sep 30 2010, 08:14 PM, said:

That's always been the case. I dont think we need to see beer bellies, but it would be nice to single parents, adults with no kids, etc

#17 User is offline   sarahzy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Oct 1 2010, 11:49 AM, said:

That's always been the case. I dont think we need to see beer bellies, but it would be nice to single parents, adults with no kids, etc

I need to see beer bellies. And mullets. Bring it on! :unsure:

#18 User is offline   UrsulasShadow 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:13 PM

View Postsarahzy, on Oct 1 2010, 02:29 PM, said:

I need to see beer bellies. And mullets. Bring it on! :blink:

I agree...this would make it marginally bearable. At least give us something to point and laugh at!

Okay, so I'm mean.

#19 User is offline   MJMcBride 

• Safari Mike
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:57 PM

View PostUrsulasShadow, on 21 October 2010 - 06:13 PM, said:

I agree...this would make it marginally bearable. At least give us something to point and laugh at!

just make sure you are there when I go, I get that a lot
JAMBO EVERYONE!

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

#20 User is offline   April 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

MJMcBride - I love your Avatar!

Okay back to the topic at hand. LOL

Single parents, mixed race families, same sex families, just families that are more than Mom + Dad + 2.3 kids. And families with teens... the only commercial I keep seeing the kids have to be under the age of 10. Older people like Disney too!

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users