• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Star Wars Weekends Planning Questions and answers for the early planner

#1 User is offline   ksomm814 

• Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

In 2010 I'll be doing something I've never attempted before...attending Star Wars Weekends with young children. My Nephew and Niece are 5 and 3 years old and are a little new to the Star Wars Universe. They know the major characters so that isn't a problem. I just want to ensure that they enjoy themselves so I'm asking for some advice on a method of attack for them. Would they enjoy watching the parade or being in it? Or are they too young for that? Should we just focus on characters?

Any input would be appreciated. :)

Kara

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:09 PM

Don't know if the 3 year old would get the parade thing or be able to participate but the 5 year old just might. The parade is a lot of fun for kids and if they like dressing up, it might be a good option for them!

#3 User is offline   ksomm814 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Jan 1 2010, 11:09 AM, said:

Don't know if the 3 year old would get the parade thing or be able to participate but the 5 year old just might. The parade is a lot of fun for kids and if they like dressing up, it might be a good option for them!

Then it might be best to keep them both out to prevent a tantrum. Thanks though. :) :-)

I found a site today that that gives instructions on how to make an autograph book. I thought this was a neat idea and may make Star Wars ones for my niece and nephew. Here's the link:
http://themouseforle...utograph2.shtml

#4 User is offline   dd_indy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 03 January 2010 - 08:17 PM

Matt, will you be hosting an SWW meet like last year?
Share and enjoy!

Dennis

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:51 AM

View Postdd_indy, on Jan 3 2010, 08:17 PM, said:

Matt, will you be hosting an SWW meet like last year?

I don't think so because the feedback I received last year was the price per person was too much and I priced it out this year and we would be in the same range.

Alternatively, we will be hosting a group lunch at Mama Melrose during Weekend 1 and could perhaps host some other group meets during the weekend. :)

#6 User is offline   dd_indy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Jan 4 2010, 11:51 AM, said:

Alternatively, we will be hosting a group lunch at Mama Melrose during Weekend 1 and could perhaps host some other group meets during the weekend.

Sounds like fun. I'll see if I can make it this year.
Share and enjoy!

Dennis

#7 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:01 PM

I just wanted to give my biggest and best piece of advice for newbies planning for SWW. Studios Central is the best friend you could possibly have. I learned a tremendous amount of information about what to expect and how to accomplish everything I wanted to simply by reading this site, joining the chats and picking the brains of the Jedi Masters on this site.

At the start of my first day, I felt a giddy excitement at seeing the combination of Star Wars and Disney. Once that excitement wore off shortly after I got inside the park, I felt a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff to see and experience. I had little idea of where I was going and even less of what I was doing. Understand that I consider myself a seasoned Disney veteran. I've been going to Disneyland since 1978, held an AP there since 2006, and have been to WDW 3 times. SWW was a new experience for me, but armed with the tips and advice from the seasoned veterans, by the end of the first day, I knew exactly what I was doing. On the 2nd day, I was being asked questions by fellow newbies about what time to line up for autographs.

Maybe someone should make a shirt that reads: "Everything I needed to know about Star Wars Weekends, I learned from Studios Central.

#8 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

#9 User is offline   NS_WDW_Mom 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:20 PM

So excited to take my son to his first every Star Wars Weekend. I know NOTHING about Star Wars, but will do my best not to embarrass him. Have been taking advantage of all of the great information available here at Studios Central. THANKS!

Here's my first of what I'm sure will be many questions: Staying at POFQ, will not have a vehicle so will need to take a taxi to DHS to get there REALLY early for autograph Fastpass (already told son no guarantees). Anyone have any idea how much I should budget for taxi from POFQ to DHS? And, how early are the parking lots open for taxi drop offs?

Thanks!

#10 User is offline   Pitti-sing 

• Studios Regular

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:06 PM

I need to pay more attention. I take a taxi from POFQ to the studios but I'm having a hard time remembering the exact amount. Sorry. :) I want to say around $15. including tip.

The parking lots are open all night. So the taxi just goes to the drop off spot in the parking lot outside the bus lanes and then you can walk in along the wall on the left.

#11 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:04 AM

Yes, you will need a taxi to get to DHS before 7am or so. If you're considering more than one day of getting to the park early, you may find a rental car cheaper.

#12 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:42 PM

Which celeb are you trying to meet? Depending on who it is, someone here may know how early you need to arrive there. Since I wanted to meet Peter Mayhew, I was able to ask questions at the planning chats and find out exactly what I needed to do.

#13 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:20 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Jan 4 2010, 11:51 AM, said:

I don't think so because the feedback I received last year was the price per person was too much and I priced it out this year and we would be in the same range.

Alternatively, we will be hosting a group lunch at Mama Melrose during Weekend 1 and could perhaps host some other group meets during the weekend. :jedi:

That's to bad. I'm finally going to attend weekend 1 and wanted to join in on the fantasmic meet. I've been away from here for awhile, so I'll need to catch up and see what's going on during weekend 1 and 2, during our visit.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge

#14 User is offline   dd_indy 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:39 AM

If anyone will still be around on May 23, I'm doing the Wishes Dessert Party. (Please don't hate me, Matt.) Feel free to make yourself a reservation and join me.
Share and enjoy!

Dennis

#15 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:49 AM

View Postdd_indy, on Apr 7 2010, 07:39 AM, said:

If anyone will still be around on May 23, I'm doing the Wishes Dessert Party. (Please don't hate me, Matt.) Feel free to make yourself a reservation and join me.

Len has more of a problem with it than I. Have a fun time!

#16 User is offline   cherylp3 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 20 April 2010 - 09:08 PM

what time do I need to be at DHS for Dee Bradley Baker??

#17 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:44 AM

View Postcherylp3, on Apr 20 2010, 10:08 PM, said:

what time do I need to be at DHS for Dee Bradley Baker??

For any autographs, I've always recommended 6am to be safe. More than likely you could arrive closer to 7am or so and get a FP for autographs but I'm the kind of person that needs to be assured of getting it with little doubt, so thats why I say 6am.

I think with the fact that we have three celebs per weekend plus 2 hosts, it will be easier to get a FP this year than in years past since there will be more options.

#18 User is offline   shdwknt 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

View PostQuickGold, on Apr 21 2010, 11:44 AM, said:

For any autographs, I've always recommended 6am to be safe. More than likely you could arrive closer to 7am or so and get a FP for autographs but I'm the kind of person that needs to be assured of getting it with little doubt, so thats why I say 6am.

I think with the fact that we have three celebs per weekend plus 2 hosts, it will be easier to get a FP this year than in years past since there will be more options.

During Star Wars Weekends 2000. Peter Mayhew was at the park during the weekend that my wife and I went..

We got to MGM at like 1pm and where done out of line in like an hour.. maybe 1.5 hours tops.. has it gotten worse since then?? 7am for an autograph.. its not even that bad at the comic cons..

#19 User is offline   SkywalkersDad 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

Yulady posted in her weekend one report: "Not doing JTA this year but it seems that the new system of first come, first served is booking all the shows in the first 5min of park opening, plus if it's EMH the people already in can start making the line early."

Does that mean you can sign up for any one of that day's JTA sessions if you get there at park opening? My son has wanted to do JTA for a while now, so I'm curious if I need to head over there first thing when the park opens.

#20 User is offline   IHeartTheStudios 

• Studios Veteran

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:49 AM

View PostSkywalkersDad, on May 24 2010, 12:27 PM, said:

Yulady posted in her weekend one report: "Not doing JTA this year but it seems that the new system of first come, first served is booking all the shows in the first 5min of park opening, plus if it's EMH the people already in can start making the line early."

Does that mean you can sign up for any one of that day's JTA sessions if you get there at park opening? My son has wanted to do JTA for a while now, so I'm curious if I need to head over there first thing when the park opens.

Get to the park early and go straight to the information table at Sounds Dangerous. They are signing up for JTA via a fastpass like system. This is on SWW event days only, the rest of the week is still a line-up. Or at least as of now it is.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users