Studios Central: Mom and son Star Wars Weekend advice needed! - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mom and son Star Wars Weekend advice needed!

#1 User is offline   YankeeRose 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:26 PM

Hello all! I will be taking my 9 year old to Disney World for the first time ever. He loves anything and everything Star Wars, so when I told him that we were going and that it would be during a Star Wars Weekend he flipped out!
Does anyone have advice for us? I would ask for specifics but I wouldn't know where to begin. I just want to make it the greatest time of my sons life. I have been to Disney several times but not during SW weekend.
Thanks much!
Nathan's mom

#2 User is offline   rob_wilson 

• Resident Game Show Expert
  • Interests:Disney, Trivia

Posted 23 February 2005 - 08:54 PM

Welcome YankeeRose!

My son also loves Star Wars and Disney. He is 11 years old and, assuming we go to Star Wars Weekends again this year, it will be our third time.

He has enjoyed seeing the various Star Wars characters roaming the park, participating in the Padawan Mind Challenge (a kids' Star Wars trivia contest), and watching the Star Wars version of the Who Wants To Be A Millionaire-Play It! show. He hasn't been overly worried about standing in the lines to get the stars' autographs. In many cases, he probably hasn't even recognized them since they are usually out of costume.

Let's see, what else can I tell you? Oh, for the Padawan Mind Challenge, they generally give all the kids who participate a Star Wars action figure of some type. And since he hasn't been to Walt Disney World before, he likely hasn't ridden Star Tours before, though you didn't mention whether he has been to Disneyland or not. Star Tours is a flight simulator ride based on the Star Wars films. It can be a bit rough, so if he is prone to motion sickness you may wish to skip it.

Even if you do skip the Star Tours ride, you'll definitely want to visit the gift shop that adjoins the exit to the ride as they have quite a bit of Star Wars merchandise, some which is unique to the park. And outside of the ride, they have several Star Wars props. He can get his photo taken in front of an AT-AT walker from "The Empire Strikes Back" or a speeder bike from "Return of the Jedi".

As I mentioned earlier, they also have a Star Wars edition of the popular "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" show. It usually runs for the first two shows of the day and then they revert to their regular general knowledge shows. The Star Wars shows open with a Star Wars character in the Hot Seat. Once the character ends his/her game, someone from the audience gets to try their luck at answering Star Wars trivia questions. Any age can sit in the Hot Seat and win great prizes. Oh, and at the beginning of the show the host usually comes out with a toy lightsaber and hands it to a child in the audience.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know. Feel free to ask any specific questions you may have either by posting them or Private Messaging me.

Rob

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:01 PM

Welcome to MGMStudios.Org YankeeRose!

Take advantage of the FASTPASS offered to get celebrity autographs as it can make the entire process much easier on everyone.

Go to and participate in the special SWW events. Alot of folks (including myself) discount the amount of fun you can have at these events. At 9, your son may be a bit too old for Obi-Wanna-Be (a mock Jedi training program where eventually the children fight Darth Vader in public. You may have him observe the first day's Obi-Wanna-Be and decide if it's something he'd like to do), but he'll enjoy the SWW edition of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire as well as other trivia games going on.

Arrive early! If you can get there at the park opening, you can take advantage of small crowd size, which is important if you want to ride Star Tours with no wait.

And dont forget about dressing up! It can be a whole lot of fun.

I've compiled a list of info from SWW 2004 & 2003 at http://mgmstudios.org/sww.html but feel free to post any other questions you might have.

#4 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:04 PM

Thought of a couple more things:

Arrive early to the park. They usually have Stormtroopers posted above the entry gates. They interact with the park visitors in an amusing show.

There is also some type of Jedi training for kids where they are "taught" how to wield a light saber and get to test their skills against Darth Vader.

Rob

#5 User is offline   YankeeRose 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:07 PM

Rob and Matt,
Thanks guys for the great advice! I am just as excited about going as my son is! I have been trying to get him there for the past four years and this year is the year! It will be great seeing "the World" just watching my sons reaction to it all.
Thanks much!
Sue (Nathan's mom)

#6 User is offline   YankeeRose 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:09 PM

How do they choose which children get to participate in the Jedi training? I think he might love that for sure!
Sue

#7 User is offline   Micah 

• Studios God

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:20 PM

First off, welcome to the boards! ^_^

I believe they just select random children that want to do it. It looked like a lot of fun (and this coming from a 14 year old :D )

I hope your trip is magical for both you and your son! :)

#8 User is offline   YankeeRose 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

Micah,
Thanks for the welcome! I will take advice from a 14 year old any day!
Sue

#9 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:26 PM

YankeeRose said:

How do they choose which children get to participate in the Jedi training? I think he might love that for sure!
Sue

That I'm not certain. My son has expressed interest in participatin (to us), but he has never been chosen. However, we've never really tried that much either. My guess is that if you go to the area where they have the "training" a half hour or so before it starts, you will have a fairly good chance of being chosen. Again, that's just a guess.

Which weekend do you plan to be there? We're still in the early stages of planning our next vacation, but if we go it will be during one of the last two weekends (the ones in June). The earlier two weekends fall during our school year.

Rob

#10 User is offline   YankeeRose 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:30 PM

We are going on the last Star Wars weekend.
Sue

#11 User is offline   rob_wilson 

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:44 PM

In that case, maybe we'll end up seeing you there.

Rob

#12 User is offline   CoasterManiac45 

• Studios God

Posted 24 February 2005 - 10:08 AM

Arrive veryvery early.

#13 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:36 PM

YankeeRose said:

Prior to the event a CM will take volunteers. Ask a CM for more info about it when you get there.
More info on the Jedi Training

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users