Studios Central: SWW 06 Weekend 1 Day 1, report by Lordtyger72 - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SWW 06 Weekend 1 Day 1, report by Lordtyger72

#1 User is offline   lordtyger72 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Star Wars, Knight Rider

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:25 PM

Good Day to all of you Star Wars fans or just fans of Disney. It was a VERY fun weekend for my wife and me this year. I will admit up front though that we only spent the first day in MGM studios, but more on that in a sec.
Wow, to begin the day we left here (Georgia) Very early since I could not sleep (I'm on night shift, what can I say?... Oh... ok, I was excited as well) Anyway, we stopped at rest area 346 on I-75 about 5 a.m. to get a little nap before heading out. We awoke at six to dogs in the next vehicle, and decided to head on out since the sun was just about to peak from the horizon. We drove the final hour to Disney World and pulled into the Pop Century Resort. This being my first time at this resort, I wanted to video everything, but time was short. We got checked in and put our bags in the room (how did they know to put us in the FAR BACK building?) Anyway, we got a look at the place and got our belongings put up, made sure our tickets and cameras were at the ready and off we went.
I'd say we got to the park about 9 or so. Not TOO bad, but not very early for THIS day. We snapped a couple of pics of the Stormtroopers as we went in and rushed to the fast pass line for autographs at the Indy show. The main line was backed up a good ways, but I noticed a shorted one to the left. A cast member came by ensuring we all knew the guaranteeds were almost done and the standbys were not lookin good for us in the back. Great. He said the line to the left was the Rick McCallum line. I decided to get that one and let the wife try for a Peter Mayhew ticket. As I approached the kiosk, I was delighted to see them still serving up tickets... until I was third from getting one. Opps, sorry... done. Well nuts. So I got out of that part, stayed on the outside of the rope to chat with the wife and snap a shot or two while she continued to wait. The Force was with us! She got a ticket!! Be there between 4:45 and 4:50. ALL RIGHT!!! And hey why not stop off to get in a trivia contest. Number 47 out of 50. SWEET! I'm IN! 3:40 meet back at the sign up tent so all can go into the ABC TV theatre together.
Now off to the merchandise-buying spree. In the future, Ebay with its jacked up prices will NOT be a bad idea here. As we went to the exit of the Star Tours ride, Tatooine Traders where the sales were LAST year, we saw a sign that said to go to Soundstage 1 on Mickey Avenue. Ok... fine. We rushed over there and got in line at 10 a.m. Holy Moley that line was packed out the door. I had a nice group of folks surrounding me a cute family behind, of which the wife and daughter took off to catch the parade while the husband and son ensured the line was kept moving. In front was a couple from God knows where but they certainly did some traveling, and another gentleman who I gathered was a cast member. He knew all of the folks workin that day. All in all we would chat together or amongst ourselves while the line shuffled the three loops outside. I felt sorry for Palpatine today... He was on the west side of the street, where the sun beat down on him in that black robe... Jango Fett :fett: on the other hand, cool in the shade. Other folks, mostly guests would come by in their costumes, a Darth Vader and Stormtrooper sans helmets had to have been the more interesting of the lot, though there was a midriff bearing Padme who would come by to check on some folks a few people in front of me from time to time. Sand Troopers would walk occasionally by as the little boy behind me would struggle to take pictured of their knees or the ground... depending on when he hit the button. Then... finally... inside, oh heavenly bli... Huh!? Another loop of lines and then around the corner into the sound stage area (where they had a, depending on who you asked, full size or 3/4 sized X-Wing fighter for your picture to be taken with. Pretty cool really. As we waited in the lobby area for another hour (yes, hour) we would notice people being led in by cast members with lightsabers. Interesting. Was there a fast pass I had missed? No, come to find out, these folks did not want the special edition stuff we were foolish enough to wait for, but just some t-shirts or pics, no biggie. Anyway, when my wife showed back up(she had to get something for a headache and some water) I told her the things that were not on the list of special edition merchandise that I wanted and sent her in to get them. We did see someone cheat the lines, but oh well. What can ya do when they have passed you and are already checking out... and no cast members working that day saw them? Well other then gripe amongst ourselves... nothing. Anyway a total of 3 and a half hours later we were FINALLY getting our things!! The limited edition framed set of pins was gone, but I didn’t really care for that. I had a toss up for one expensive item and a few other things, Darth Goofy, couple of the special edition pins and the big gaudy pin. I had to decide on the watch with the Darth Vader helmet holder, or the Big Fig Jedi Mickey. In the end, I figured I don't wear a watch and the Big Fig would look cooler, plus it was signed AND cheaper (and the Vader watch holder looked exactly like my Vader cookie jar anyway). We got these items to be delivered back to our resort so NO carrying boxes. VERY good idea to stay at a resort if just for THAT feature alone!
Ok, now that our feet and backs hurt like crazy, we decided to go get something to eat. The ABC commissary had a tasty burger, but nothin special though. And now on to the Star Tours ride.
I love this ride, and during SWW you can get on here NO PROBLEM! The staging area and the announcement of the arrival and briefing are just so well done, making you feel like you are really AT an airpo- I mean Space port. Anyway, afterwards we milled around the store a bit, but figured we spent PLENTY already. SO we walked a bit outside some until it was time for the Tatooine Trivia Trials Hosted by Warwick Davis.
My wife headed into the theater with the video camera as we contestants were herded in the back way. Some folks did not show up, and even with the few standbys that did, we had 40 people. All in all, I knew the Force was strong in this group, but was NOT going to just give up. We lined up 4 rows, 10 to a row. As we waited inside on stage we talked a little to each other, about how earlier the guy playing Millionaire won a cruise... Wow... and you mean this thing gets prizes too? Neat. All right then... the audience was let in, the music and voiceover guy cued up and Warwick was introduced. The voice over and Mr. Davis had a little scripted banter from Willow and stuff, but it was cute. We all got a good laugh or two. My nerves were a bit frazzled by the lack of sleep, but no matter. I had wanted to do this since LAST year... and now, I just didn’t wanna be dropped on the first question. I had a hard time hearing some of the questions with the reverb of the sound and all, but I could get the first (Wookie) round with the multiple-choice questions. Whew. Then the Hyperspace Round! I had to write out my answers.. Oh curse you public school system, with your ever changing ways and not focusing on penmanship. Oh well, the answers LOOKED close enough. I am sure I misspelled Utapah. Anyway, Down to the FINAL 3! Wow! Sudden Death Star Round! I missed the first question here, Jabba's eyes are Orange, not Green! but one of the other contestants did too! Still in the running for second, but first place went to a young lady. My wife for some reason won’t let me live down I lost to a girl... but I say Hey, Leia and Padme were gals too, so NAAHHH!! We had to hold onto our pens and erase boards a couple questions longer, as we both missed the NEXT one, something about what hallway were Obi-Wan and Anakin trapped in. Still have no clue. Then finally the end. Who was brought into the Ewok Village lashed to two wooden poles. His answer was C-3PO(who was carried, but not LASHED), mine was R2-D2! YES!!!!! WOO HOO!!!! I'm number 2! I had to bottle that up, since I didn’t want the other guy to get too mad, but hey, everyone there had to have been feeling just as nervous as I was, so I think we ALL did good to get up there on stage. We spoke to Mr. Davis as he interviewed us a little, and it was a lot of fun by all. We were shown offstage and low and behold, yes, there WERE prize packages. Mine consisted of a lightsaber TV plug and play game, a basic lightsaber, an Unleashed battle pack of clone troopers, a SWW hat, couple of mini characters (R2 and Yoda), and then I was hunted down after leaving and told they shorted me something... an interactive R2-D2. What Luck!!!! As we waited for them to get the R2 (they had to run to the store to get it), Mr. Davis came around and talked to the folks on our end of the stage, so we chatted a little. Quite a nice fellow though. I didn’t ask for an autograph. Felt we missed THAT line altogether.
Speaking of Autographs, it was about 4:30. Just enough time to get to the Peter Mayhew line Cool! R2 in hand we raced around the commissary (MGM is NOT a very easily navigated place for novices like us) and got in line. 6 people to go, then 5, then 4, then they closed the line. we had a ticket and all, but I suppose it didn’t matter, He had to go. I wasn’t upset with Mr. Mayhew, as I know he has things to do around these times, but the Disney Folks could have done a little more for folks with a ticket, Oh well. We decided right then and there that coming in tomorrow for an autograph would NOT be on our list, since a ticket supposedly guaranteeing one meant nothing. And since that was all we had to do to finish ALL we wanted to do at MGM, why come back? We decided it was just best to enjoy the rest of the parks we wanted to see, so tomorrow would bring more fun then line standing. Ok, back to the story...
We decided to head back to the hotel and drop off our things, get some supper and come back for Fantasmic! Dinner at the Pop Century is split into different lines, each with a little different theme, some were American fare, some Chinese, some Mexican. In the end we settled for cheese steak wraps. pretty good, but some A1 or Heinz 57 would have been good on it.
Back to MGM, and wait for the show. we got there early as this site suggests and we were seated midways down Aisle H right between the two Mickeys! We were told coming in those were the best seats, between the Mickeys. As it turned out they WERE! Filmed the whole show and it was great. The effects were great and you could really feel the fire from the dragon. All in all a fantastic end to a GREAT day! The Force was with us and we had a lot of sun, when we weren't in line. I have a few pics and will be trying to get them uploaded as well, so I hope anyone planning a trip for this or if you were there had or will have as much fun as we did!!! This is all for the Star Wars Weekend report. Thanks! :thumleft:

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 22 May 2006 - 12:46 PM

Great report :thumleft: Definetly looking forward to seeing those pictures. Congrats on winning second place in the trivia contests :salut:

#3 User is offline   MaulMom 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for the report. I'm soaking up all the information I can before I take my son there next weekend! I've successfully talked him out of the autograph signing by telling him about how you got the FP and then waited and waited and didn't get in anyway. My son wasn't sure how much he wanted to do it anyway, so it will make it a lot easier to not have to do that!

Would you happen to have a schedule that you brought home that you could scan and post? (I don't ask for much do I?)

#4 User is offline   lordtyger72 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 23 May 2006 - 02:28 PM

As a matter of fact, I did bring home our schedule. I'll scan it in and post it in the pictures. Go here---> http://mgmstudios.or...t.php?cat_id=20 and look for it.

#5 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 23 May 2006 - 03:12 PM

Thanks lordtyger :thumleft:

#6 User is offline   lilchippewa 

• Studios God

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

Thanks lordtyger and welcome to MGMStudios.org!
-Josh

#7 User is offline   MaulMom 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 23 May 2006 - 10:12 PM

Thanks so much, lordtyger, for posting the schedule. I am very excited to sit down and do a better schedule now. Also, the pictures were awesome. Thanks for taking the time to post those and the schedule. My son will think he's died and gone to heaven at SWW!

#8 User is offline   lordtyger72 

• Studios Newbie

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:37 PM

Y'all are very welcome, just glad I could help. Not that I minded, as it was a LOT of gun..*L*

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users