Studios Central: Reunion 2010 - A Fan's Perspective - Studios Central

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reunion 2010 - A Fan's Perspective

#1 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Golf, Disney, Sports Junkie!

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:18 PM

I know it's very early in the game, but hearing the dates for Reunion 2010 (Dec 1 - 6) kind of bums me out. Let me first say I understand the need for Disney communities to put their own "stake in the ground", plan their own events, etc, etc. I also understand particular fan sites have to take care of their own business and do what's best for them and not worry about other communities.

This is the first year since I've been attending the early December fan gatherings (Mousefests, Reunion, etc, etc) where their seems to be a split in dates of Disney fan communities. I won't get into specifics, but I'll just say I'm left to choose between going the first week of December or the 2nd to 3rd week of December. Folks like me who are active in the Disney community are going to have a tough time with this. If choosing which week wasn't hard enough, we are left to think what friends we may miss because fan gatherings will be happening on different dates/weekends. Early December was the time we as Disney fans could count on seeing all of our friends during a visit to Disney World. Now we are left wondering who we won't see, or who we'll miss.

I'll be the first to admit, I've missed times when I was supposed to meet-up with friends (A good example was New Years Eve at the Studios), but early December is the one time for all of us to get together and celebrate our love for Disney, to see old friends and make new ones. I know there isn't much we can do about it now, but I hope in 2011 and beyond the Disney fan communities can get together and come to unified dates/weekends where all the fan events coincide with each other. I completely understand Mousefest used to be the vehicle to make this happen, but now that it is gone (for now) it doesn't mean we can't come together and choose dates for fan gatherings.

I really appreciate all the effort that goes into the fan gatherings, podcasts, articles, shows, meets, etc, etc. As someone who puts on a regional meet each year in the midwest I understand the work that goes into these events. I just hope we are not left to choose dates year after year, and figure out what friends we may miss along the way.

#2 User is offline   torg0 

• Studios Regular

Posted 13 January 2010 - 01:56 PM

ADP,

There is one BIG thing you didn't take into consideration.....

Us!

With Reunion, there are 5-10 principal people (podcast, MFT, and friends) involved that we ALL had to get together to figure a time when we can ALL be there.

We couldn't hold reunion if one of the podcast hosts could not attend (perhaps due to work, weddings, holidays) or some other commitment, so we had to decide on a week that we could attend together. Don't forget, we're taking vacation time to do these events, it's not like we can just pop in to WDW (well, Matt could) to hold these events. Some of us could not get time off mid December (especially so close to the holidays)

Now, that may not fit everyone else's schedule, and that we cannot control, but when it came to reunion, it was important that all of us could attend together.

Sometimes it works out, like in 09, when RADP and the Dis had scheduled their events the same week, so people had a choice, but for 2010, we had to pick a time when we could get together.

Otherwise, there would be no reunion.

Hope that explains it a bit better.
Mike

Celebrating 10 Years Of Streaming Digital Magic To The World http://www.mouseworldradio.com

http://www.mouseworldradio1.com

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:29 PM

I completely understand what your point is Aaron. That was the great aspect of Mousefest, that one could come down at one time of the year and see everyone. It was a great idea but the reality of planning an event of that scope clearly lead to its death knell.

When we looked at planning Reunion 2010, we looked at a lot of different issues like if we wanted to hold an event and when and like Mike said, we had to look at our own schedules. One thing I've learned from holding any meet, big or small, is that you will never find a time and day that works for everyone (look no further than any of our SC chats :P ) so you have to pick a time and throw it out there. I wish we could have every listener/reader who wanted to attend come down but the reality is it will never work for everyone.

As for trying to coordinate with other sites, it's easier said than done. We all have our own agendas, priorities and schedules. I wont bore you with examples of why it's difficult but I know listeners like you really want to be a part of everything going on in the Disney-sphere and I know we're lucky to have such dedicated listeners. I know you can't do it all and understand that we planned this event as best we could and I hope in the future some more ideal solution presents itself.

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to either comment here or send me a message because I am far from the smartest person out there.

Thanks for the feedback Aaron ;)

#4 User is offline   torg0 

• Studios Regular

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

Speaking of......

when is the next SC chat night?
Mike

Celebrating 10 Years Of Streaming Digital Magic To The World http://www.mouseworldradio.com

http://www.mouseworldradio1.com

#5 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:41 PM

View Posttorg0, on Jan 13 2010, 01:56 PM, said:

ADP,

There is one BIG thing you didn't take into consideration.....

Us!

With Reunion, there are 5-10 principal people (podcast, MFT, and friends) involved that we ALL had to get together to figure a time when we can ALL be there.

We couldn't hold reunion if one of the podcast hosts could not attend (perhaps due to work, weddings, holidays) or some other commitment, so we had to decide on a week that we could attend together. Don't forget, we're taking vacation time to do these events, it's not like we can just pop in to WDW (well, Matt could) to hold these events. Some of us could not get time off mid December (especially so close to the holidays)

Now, that may not fit everyone else's schedule, and that we cannot control, but when it came to reunion, it was important that all of us could attend together.

Sometimes it works out, like in 09, when RADP and the Dis had scheduled their events the same week, so people had a choice, but for 2010, we had to pick a time when we could get together.

Otherwise, there would be no reunion.

Hope that explains it a bit better.

Thanks Mike. That does help and I do understand. I know you guys have lives outside of your Disney activities. I guess the past 3 years have been "lightening in a bottle", and it just so happened it all worked out with the dates/weekends and other fan sites. I'm certainly not mad or upset. I'm just a bit torn since this is the first year I've experienced this and had to choose.

All of your efforts are extremely appreciated. :P

MMMMmmmmmuppets!!! ;)

#6 User is offline   ADP 

• ADP

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:55 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Jan 13 2010, 02:29 PM, said:

I completely understand what your point is Aaron. That was the great aspect of Mousefest, that one could come down at one time of the year and see everyone. It was a great idea but the reality of planning an event of that scope clearly lead to its death knell.

When we looked at planning Reunion 2010, we looked at a lot of different issues like if we wanted to hold an event and when and like Mike said, we had to look at our own schedules. One thing I've learned from holding any meet, big or small, is that you will never find a time and day that works for everyone (look no further than any of our SC chats :P ) so you have to pick a time and throw it out there. I wish we could have every listener/reader who wanted to attend come down but the reality is it will never work for everyone.

As for trying to coordinate with other sites, it's easier said than done. We all have our own agendas, priorities and schedules. I wont bore you with examples of why it's difficult but I know listeners like you really want to be a part of everything going on in the Disney-sphere and I know we're lucky to have such dedicated listeners. I know you can't do it all and understand that we planned this event as best we could and I hope in the future some more ideal solution presents itself.

If you have any suggestions, please feel free to either comment here or send me a message because I am far from the smartest person out there.

Thanks for the feedback Aaron ;)

Thanks to both of you for your explanations. And I know what you mean Matt...Timing never works out for everyone. Life is just too hectic.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users