Studios Central: Epcot Food & Wine Festival - Studios Central

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epcot Food & Wine Festival

#1 User is offline   ghost1000 

  • Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 278
  • Joined: 17-April 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Philly 'burbs, OKW, VWL

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

I recently learned that the Epcot Food & Wine Festival would begin on Friday, October 1. We were planning a trip the last week in September, but we've moved it to the first week in October.
~~ Rita



0

#2 User is offline   MJMcBride 

  • Safari Mike
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,250
  • Joined: 24-April 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:star wars, sci-fi, fantasy sports, superheroes, chasing my kids and chasing my wife

Posted 12 January 2010 - 08:19 PM

good thinkin' I love F&W
JAMBO EVERYONE!


Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
0

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

  • Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Posts: 22,079
  • Joined: 15-July 02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Saint Cloud, Florida

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

That first weekend will be crowded, much like all the weekends. Do yourself a favor and try to go on a week day, as it's far less crowded.
0

#4 User is offline   ghost1000 

  • Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 278
  • Joined: 17-April 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Philly 'burbs, OKW, VWL

Posted 14 January 2010 - 09:59 AM

We're hopefully going to spend the week at Beach Club Villas, but I can't book it yet.
~~ Rita



0

#5 User is offline   TheInfrequentVisitor 

  • Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 284
  • Joined: 04-January 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Iowa
  • Interests:Disney, Music, Movies

Posted 15 January 2010 - 03:37 PM

I went to Food and Wine for the first time this past October, but unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to fully experience it. I went to Epcot in the morning, and ended the day stuck in my hotel room with a breathing mask and a diagnosed case of swine flu. A couple days earlier though, I was able to walk around the world checking out menus and smelling the smells. It looked and smelled really good.

Anyway, I hope to get back soon. I think you made the right choice moving your trip back.
0

#6 User is offline   QuickGold 

  • Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Posts: 22,079
  • Joined: 15-July 02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Saint Cloud, Florida

Posted 15 January 2010 - 04:33 PM

View PostTheInfrequentVisitor, on Jan 15 2010, 03:37 PM, said:

I went to Food and Wine for the first time this past October, but unfortunately I didn't have the opportunity to fully experience it. I went to Epcot in the morning, and ended the day stuck in my hotel room with a breathing mask and a diagnosed case of swine flu. A couple days earlier though, I was able to walk around the world checking out menus and smelling the smells. It looked and smelled really good.

Anyway, I hope to get back soon. I think you made the right choice moving your trip back.

F&W is a fantastic event. Take your time and enjoy food and drink from each country and you will have a great time!
0

#7 User is offline   Jeanine 

  • Senior Studios Member
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 484
  • Joined: 07-July 07
  • Location:Los Angeles

Posted 16 January 2010 - 02:53 AM

I actually found this move from the last week in September to the first week in October incredibly irking, as that means the first weekend goes from being in the Value season to the Regular season. I've reserved that last week for something like 4 years now, with the free dining plan, and now have to either move it and pay the higher rate, or miss F&W. Pfui.
0

#8 User is offline   ghost1000 

  • Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 278
  • Joined: 17-April 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Philly 'burbs, OKW, VWL

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:24 PM

View PostJeanine, on Jan 16 2010, 02:53 AM, said:

I actually found this move from the last week in September to the first week in October incredibly irking, as that means the first weekend goes from being in the Value season to the Regular season. I've reserved that last week for something like 4 years now, with the free dining plan, and now have to either move it and pay the higher rate, or miss F&W. Pfui.


I suspect that next year the Food & Wine Festival will begin on September 30.
~~ Rita



0

#9 User is offline   sarahzy 

  • Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 244
  • Joined: 29-December 09
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:52 AM

We're doing Food and Wine Oct. 7-10 this year. Getting as much use out of those APs as we can!! We're definitely going to PFTS that weekend as well. I'm really looking forward to experiencing more of the Festival than we did last year. Last year we were there for our best friends' wedding, and there wasn't a ton of time to get to the parks other than for MNSSHP and PFTS.
0

#10 User is offline   IlluminatEpcot 

  • Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 119
  • Joined: 25-April 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lexington, KY

Posted 12 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

Going to get 1 day of food and wine thanks to doing the free dining the week before and am really excited about it. Never experienced it before.. how much should one expect to spend on items?
Next Trip - Epic October -- 9/27 to 10/3
Staying at Pop Century
Previous Trips: March 2010, 2011
1999: June, Aug, Oct, Dec
2000: April, Oct, Dec

Webmaster of Illuminating Epcot
0

#11 User is offline   QuickGold 

  • Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Posts: 22,079
  • Joined: 15-July 02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Saint Cloud, Florida

Posted 12 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

View PostMHWeaver913, on May 12 2010, 08:40 PM, said:

Going to get 1 day of food and wine thanks to doing the free dining the week before and am really excited about it. Never experienced it before.. how much should one expect to spend on items?

About $5-8 per item (food). Drinks can be more expensive
0

#12 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

  • Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,570
  • Joined: 24-September 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Rowley, MA
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:50 PM

This will be my first Food & Wine Festival experience. Taking my mom for her 80th birthday. How does this festival work? I did notice that you can sign up and pay for seminars and stuff. But what do you experience, if you just walk around the world?

Can someone give me some information or point me in the right direction. If I have to pay more to do something special for my mom, I will. Any tips anyone would like to share? THANKS
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge
0

#13 User is offline   yulilin 

  • Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 822
  • Joined: 21-November 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:20 min. from the World
  • Interests:Disney World, Harry Potter, Star Wars and my family

Posted 24 September 2010 - 07:26 AM

View Postqueenofthehouse, on Sep 23 2010, 11:50 PM, said:

This will be my first Food & Wine Festival experience. Taking my mom for her 80th birthday. How does this festival work? I did notice that you can sign up and pay for seminars and stuff. But what do you experience, if you just walk around the world?

Can someone give me some information or point me in the right direction. If I have to pay more to do something special for my mom, I will. Any tips anyone would like to share? THANKS

I've only done the "free" things. Not really free since you have to buy the food. A good tip is for you to use a special F&WF card that you can put around your wrist. This card doesn't cost anything extra, you put money into it and then when you're walking around the food booths you can just swipe that little card and don't have to take your cash/cc out everytime. I've found this card in the store next to the splashing area right before you go into world showcase, I'm sure you can find it in other stores as well. Also look at the Eat to the Beat concert performers that will be here during your visit. In the past I've seen The Temptations (one of my all time favorites).
Depending on money, you might want to buy one plate from each booth and share, this festival is pretty expensive, I usually put $40 in the card and can never eat all the way around with it. It's good to have the booth info ahead of time so you see what's something that you would really want to try. Also the earlier you start around the world the better, the lines later in the day are pretty long. Also alot of people that drink around the world are more "rowdy" as the evening progresses. As to the wine part I don't drink alcohol so I can't help you there, years ago I did try an orange wine from a local booth and it was delicious.
Por favor mantenganse alejados de las puertas
0

#14 User is offline   Figaro 

  • Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,486
  • Joined: 19-March 05
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:LI, NY

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:17 AM

View Postyulilin, on Sep 24 2010, 08:26 AM, said:

I've only done the "free" things. Not really free since you have to buy the food. A good tip is for you to use a special F&WF card that you can put around your wrist. This card doesn't cost anything extra, you put money into it and then when you're walking around the food booths you can just swipe that little card and don't have to take your cash/cc out everytime. I've found this card in the store next to the splashing area right before you go into world showcase, I'm sure you can find it in other stores as well. Also look at the Eat to the Beat concert performers that will be here during your visit. In the past I've seen The Temptations (one of my all time favorites).
Depending on money, you might want to buy one plate from each booth and share, this festival is pretty expensive, I usually put $40 in the card and can never eat all the way around with it. It's good to have the booth info ahead of time so you see what's something that you would really want to try. Also the earlier you start around the world the better, the lines later in the day are pretty long. Also alot of people that drink around the world are more "rowdy" as the evening progresses. As to the wine part I don't drink alcohol so I can't help you there, years ago I did try an orange wine from a local booth and it was delicious.


I second the wrist card! Definitely easier to use...perhaps a little too easy. B) We had the opposite problem last year. We had to recharge it, ahem, several times. But that was more because we had no kids and were trying all the beers & wines. We're looking forward to going this year again in November.

We've also never done the special events, but we aren't really into it. Friends of ours do the Party for the Senses every year and love it.
0

#15 User is offline   dd_indy 

  • Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 145
  • Joined: 27-October 09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Near Indianapolis

Posted 24 September 2010 - 08:11 PM

I also recommend the gift card. Another feature is that if don't spend all of the money on the card at F&W, it can be used like any other gift card at any Disney shop.

Definitely download the Festival Guide. It will tell you what food is available at each of the kiosks. Check web sites like AllEars.net and DisneyFoodBlog.com for information on current and past festivals.

Also check back episodes of podcasts for reviews of the food. Many of the kiosks are the serving the same food as last year.
Share and enjoy!

Dennis
0

#16 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

  • Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,570
  • Joined: 24-September 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Rowley, MA
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:24 PM

Thank for the good information. I love the card idea and will do it. And I will look into the websites for more detailed information about what type of food is where. My mom is way more adventurous, when it comes to trying new food then I am. I'm very boring. It sounds like going on a week day will be best, and I will get there early. Thanks again. If anyone else has any experience they would like to share, I'm open to it all.
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge
0

#17 User is offline   QuickGold 

  • Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Posts: 22,079
  • Joined: 15-July 02
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Saint Cloud, Florida

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:04 AM

If you are a picky eater, use this as an opportunity to try some new food. Worst case scenario is you waste $4 on something, but more than likely it may actually taste good. Think of it this way, if there's a dish that lots of people enjoy, there must be a good reason why they like it, right? Give it a try and you may find something you new you love.
0

#18 User is offline   queenofthehouse 

  • Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,570
  • Joined: 24-September 06
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Rowley, MA
  • Interests:Disney, Disney and more Disney

Posted 27 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

View PostQuickGold, on Sep 27 2010, 12:04 PM, said:

If you are a picky eater, use this as an opportunity to try some new food. Worst case scenario is you waste $4 on something, but more than likely it may actually taste good. Think of it this way, if there's a dish that lots of people enjoy, there must be a good reason why they like it, right? Give it a try and you may find something you new you love.


I am a very picky eater, but I love this idea of being able to try things without the cost of having to buy a big meal and that I may not like. (you wouldn't think that a person from a family of 12 would be picky; go figure)
Maureen
(Lowell's Mom)
Mad, Mad, Mad about Disney!

May 21-28, 2013
Wilderness Lodge
0

#19 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

  • Studios Veteran
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 242
  • Joined: 26-August 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Minneapolis
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 28 September 2010 - 08:12 AM

View Postghost1000, on Jan 9 2010, 12:49 PM, said:

I recently learned that the Epcot Food & Wine Festival would begin on Friday, October 1. We were planning a trip the last week in September, but we've moved it to the first week in October.


I love F&W, I have been there w/family, w/just my husband & as a solo trip. If you really want to make the most out of that first weekend, attend the late night party for the F&W 1/2 Marathon. Since it is the 1st time it is being done, it might be interesting to check it out. Have fun, I'll be there next year.
0

#20 User is offline   HDLady 

  • Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,130
  • Joined: 17-May 08
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:21 miles from WDW!
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 28 September 2010 - 10:50 AM

Some of the free seminars actually provide the opportunity to try items free that you normally wouldn't. Last year my favorite was the free Samuel Adams seminar that included free beer tasting. I also enjoyed the beer tasting you paid for. I think it was $12 and you could sample 6 of 12 beers so it gavwe you a nice choice of unusual beers and I found a couple I like even though I'm not a big beer drinker.

Also, if you've never been before, don't be suirprized at the small serving sizes at the food kiosks. While it is a bit pricey to "eat around the world" the smaller servings also give you the opportunity to try several items. If yu want to keep the cost down and try more items, consider sharing each item. It's only a couple of bites each but enough to decide if you like the item or not. The concerts are also a lot of fun!
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users