• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Solo Trips

#1 User is offline   sparklesscull 

• Studios Newbie
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:DISNEY

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

I have never taken a solo Trip but Im thinking about it, I think im about to do it? LOL , Im afraid if i do it and like it Ill be there all the time.

Just a little nervous about it?? Any advise?

#2 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 18 February 2009 - 10:32 PM

Bad news... you will like it... you will want to go all the time...

WDW today just did an entire show about solo trips and it was pretty much spot on. Most of my best times have been on solo trips. There is nothing like being able to dictate your own schedule and enjoy everything you want to enjoy when you want to enjoy it.

You want to ride Tower of Terror 27 times in a row? (I did) Go for it! Want to walk around the magic kingdom after dark for a few hours to see the sights? Go for it! Want to go to 10 different restaurants for appetizers and deserts? Go for it!

That being said you might miss not having people to share the experience with... But WDW is one off the places it is nearly impossible to feel lonely. There are just too many guests and cast members that are friendly and downright chatty if you want to talk.

If you are looking for specific tips I can surely give you some. But be brave, go for the trip! Worst case you buy a season pass and have more fun then you otherwise would have!

#3 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 19 February 2009 - 12:07 PM

You may want to refer to this podcast episode for some tips: http://www.wdwtoday....009020521234764

Please post any specific questions or concerns you may have so we can better help you :lol:

#4 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 19 February 2009 - 02:29 PM

I won't necessarily offer to pay for a character meal for you, however...

LOL

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#5 User is offline   sparklesscull 

• Studios Newbie
  • Interests:DISNEY

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info, Today is my day off, I might just book a trip??? I think Ill make it a short one. ( first Time) I would love to ride the Rock N Roller coaster untill I puke.

Sit buy pool in the afternoon , love the idea eating deserts and appetizers all day.

#6 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

In October, I took an unplanned solo trip when my friend had a family emergency pop up the night before we left. Everyone in WDW was friendly, I even met the most unique group of women they were 30+ years older than me and had more energy than my middle school students. They were kind enough to invite me to join them for a few meals and activities. It was fun to do, I am glad I did it, but for me, I much prefer sharing the experiences w/family and friends...although I like my own hotel room.

After this experience I"ll be sure to engage in conversations w/ new people. It really helped me...and yes, I did make an ADR for 1. I don't really care what people think as long as I have good food & a good magazine...I could zone for hours.

#7 User is offline   kathyj0 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Photography, Disney, Travel, Scuba

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

One word - tours! If there is a tour you've wanted to try that the family might not be interested in . . . this is your chance!

I've made several solo trips, and I plan at least one tour each time I go. I've done the Steam Trains, Behind the Seeds, and Ft. Wilderness Segway - and had a great time on all 3.

As far as meals, I typically stick with counter service . . . but I have dined solo at Biergarten and Le Cellier. Le Cellier felt a little odd at first, but my server went out of her way to make me comfortable.
Kathy

#8 User is offline   Sleepless Knight 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Star Wars, Disney, Pixar

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

I've gone to Disneyland many times solo and I don't hesitate to recommend solo trips to anyone. It's a lot of fun. Yes, you do miss out on sharing experiences right then and there, but it's a lot of fun.

For me a solo trip is a great opportunity to slow down and have some time to myself and not feel the weight of assorted responsibilities pressing down.

#9 User is offline   HDLady 

• Studios God
  • Interests:Harleys, my pets and WDW!!!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:06 PM

Even when my 2 friends from NJ come down and we stay at OKW for 8 or 9 nights, we do most stuff together as a group but also break off and do solo stuff during the week. One friend might go for a massage or hair cut at Grand Floridian, another might go to DD for Ghiradelli's sundae, I might decide to spend a couple of hours lollygagging at the hotel or sitting in one of teh windows at Living Seas. Being a local with an AP, it's not uncommon for me to spend a couple of hours at one of the parks single if I need to get out of the house and hubby doesn't feel like going. It's pretty easy to feel comfortable as a single at WDW.
Debbie
DVC Old Key West 9/27- 10/5/2013 for Food & Wine w/ friends from NJ
Board of Directors Member & Treasurer, The ConGaloosh Society, Inc., a 501(3)c not-for-profit

ConGaloosh 2013 - September 27 - 29, 2013
www.congaloosh.org

#10 User is offline   MaxiBarns 

• Studios Veteran
  • Interests:Running, Eating, Laughing, Running, Eating, Laughing

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:09 PM

On some what comical note:
My brother said he had never felt creepier than when he arrived at MCO and popped on Magical Express by himself, as a 25 year old male. He said he literally could see mums pulling their kids closer to keep them away from the "strange man."

Kristen

#11 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

MaxiBarns said:

On some what comical note:
My brother said he had never felt creepier than when he arrived at MCO and popped on Magical Express by himself, as a 25 year old male. He said he literally could see mums pulling their kids closer to keep them away from the "strange man."

Kristen
:lol: I've done DME solo and never had that sort of an issue, albeit I did it when I was younger and I also would fly in late at night.

#12 User is offline   YoPaulie 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

Actually... while I am all about being laid back and relaxed when with the family... were I ever to get an opportunity to go solo (not likely in this lifetime, the wife is a HUGE WDW fan!), I would be going full on commando style.

First flight from Newark to Orlando... DME, arrive at the resort around 11:00 AM or so. I'm picturing a DVC Studio on the Boardwlak that overlooks Crescent Lake. First day sit-down lunch someplace nice... Like Yachtsman or something... then relax by the pool and take in some beer at ESPN Club for the evening.

The rest of the trip would be rope drop to park close... using EVERY Extra Magic Hour available. I'd likely not use the dining plan, or if I did I would only do the quickservice one.

And, to avoid burnout, every 3rd day would be a Water Park/Pool until at least 2:00 day.

LOL, of course, in this fantasy solo trip I'm there for 2 weeks. :lol:

Please read my blog, The World by Day
Follow me on Twitter! YoPaulieNJ

#13 User is offline   Jeanine 

• Senior Studios Member

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

I'm always amused at people who can't stand the idea of eating alone in restaurants--it doesn't bother me at all, yet I know a lot of people who mock any one they see eating by themselves as a pathetic loser. I have made ADRs for 1 for an entire week and enjoyed them all.

There was the funniest NPR segment where I think Ira Glass went to France and interviewed David Sedaris whose fear of eating alone is almost pathological. He apparently puts on a whole act as if he's waiting for someone to show up and eventually ends the meal by storming out in a huff because they didn't show up.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users