• You cannot reply to this topic

NY Times story on Shades of Green

#1 User is offline   surfpark 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:58 PM

http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/05/16/trave...16armed.html?hp

Posted Image

Shades of Green, a retreat for military personnel — of all ranks — their families and guests, sits within the expansive Disney World site outside Orlando, Fla. Officially called an Armed Forces Recreation Center, it is one of five retreats around the world that let servicemen and -women reconnect with their families in the precious time they have together.

Over a recent weekend at the resort, several guests had just returned from the deserts of Iraq or the mountains outside Kabul.

“This is a great way to repay them,” said Capt. Daniel T. Celotto, a marine communications officer back from his second Iraqi tour, referring to his wife and two sons. “What they go through is far more than anything I put up with,” he added, shooing his youngest away from the big Mickey-shaped pool and back into the wading one. “I signed up for this, they didn’t.”...

The article is a basic primer to the Shades of Green resort. I didn't know it was run by the army. The article says that the army took out a 99-year lease on the property.

Its kind of sad that one of the solders they interviewed said that the Magic Kingdom's fireworks sounded like combat and made him unsettled.

#2 User is offline   QuickGold 

• Studios Superman
  • Group: Root Admin

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

Shades of Green is a very unique resort. Glenn wrote an article about it a little while ago: http://www.studiosce...theworld10.html

#3 User is offline   Rinjo 

• Studios God
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My Children and Family, Disney, Games, UFC

Posted 22 May 2008 - 12:16 PM

THanks for the article! Unfortunately I won't be staying there this time I go down. The place is great and the price ($89) is unbelievable for what you get.

Unfortunately, free dining saves me almost a thousand bucks so I have to swing that way this time!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users